Sunday, August 9, 2015

Discouragement

Sometimes we find ourselves second guessing our career path when jobs aren't rolling our way. You have all of the necessaries, so why is your dream job not falling in your lap? You've pumped out hundreds of resumes to companies far and wide that seem suitable for your level of expertise, you set up decent self-marketing materials like an online portfolio, website to bring in freelance work, social media accounts specific to your career and you got paid-up on all of those old association memberships that don't really seem to do anything for seasoned vets as it's mostly newcomers to the game that don't have real world experience under their belt yet. You even put a fresh coat of paint on that LinkedIn profile and maybe even sprung for the upgrade so you can get all of the fancy bells and whistles that comes with that prestigious gold star on your personal social networking skill set. Why? Why? Why isn't it working?

Well, maybe you need to look at yourself in the mirror and decide deep down, "Is this what I'm truly passionate about?". If the answer is yes, then you are on the right track and you know inside your gut that you just can't give up. You have to keep pushing until someone notices you for the skills you have and for the potential standard that they can offer that you can live up to and shine with.

In 2007, I was working for a local newspaper as a production artist. Yes, I said production artist. It was exactly what I described in a previous blog post. (See post here.)
Small-time column x inches black and white design by the hundreds for mom and pop custom furniture, handy man services and pizza chains as far as the eye could see. It was a glamorous life.

Long story short, I took blame for some things that I didn't do, and conveniently couldn't fight, it created tension for me and I decided to leave the company on my own terms and with my integrity intact. I was happy with my decision but I was faced with finding a new job in an unfriendly market for designers in Phoenix. Especially not in the East Valley. I'd moved down the street from this place for the convenience after all. What was I going to do? 

I had a crisis of conscience and thought, "Is this what I am passionate about?" The answer was easily yes. I put my best face forward, did my time, even got desperate and took a delivery job to make ends meet. Wouldn't you know it, an hour before my first shift started, I got a phone call from my most recent employer to let me know I got the job I had interviewed for days earlier. Things worked out. It's not always the case though.

I find myself in this same position 8 years later. I'm in that position again to ask myself, "Is this what I am passionate about?". The answer has changed but not in the way you might think. I feel my skills have improved, my maturity level has grown, my people skills and knowledge of the market I work in has increased ten fold. So although the answer is still a resounding yes, there are caveats. 

 I have changed, but I've realized the work has not. I want that to change. I want a challenge! What good is going to work doing something you love if it's not going to help you grow? This is something I didn't care about last time around. I believe it must have something to do with the maturity factor. I thirst for knowledge, for creativity, for stability with growth. 

It exists out there and I'm worth it, so are you. Keep fighting for what you are worth and you will get it my friends. If you are passionate about this still, then it's okay to struggle to find that perfect fit. It's not a job you're looking for it's a career. It's more than that even, I'd say. It's a lifestyle that comes with ups and downs and pros and cons. You have to determine if the pros and the ups outweigh the negatives.

Stay passionate!



No comments:

Post a Comment